Mobile Phone Use February 2020
You will be fully aware of the changes we introduced last year in response to student voice via the School Council. This change allowed students to bring in their mobile phones in to the school building should they wish too, as well as the options of keeping them securely in their locker or placed on the provided charging trolley should they prefer. However, responsible and considerate phone use was the most important focus for us all. This was in keeping with our academy values of ‘Safe, Ready, Respectful’.
This placed greater personal responsibility and readiness on to our students to maturely manage their phones without distraction to learning or disruption to teaching.
The following updated expectations were discussed and agreed:
- Students ARE required to place their phone in silent mode or in aircraft mode during lessons and tutor time. Phones should then be placed safely away and not used during lessons.
- Listening to music during the lesson IS NOT allowed with mobile phones unless an adult has permitted this.
- Students MAY use their mobile phone at social times such as break or lunch time
The school council were consulted further and they themselves supported the expectation that there would be a clear process for escalated sanctions as follows;
- Student given polite reminder
- A verbal warning given and the opportunity to make better decision
- A Yellow Card. This is the final warning and the 3rd opportunity to make better decision
- A Red Card. This will result in the removal from lesson to Senior Team parking for a set period of time
Students who receive 3 negative logs with regard to inappropriate phone use in school (in lessons) will be subject to temporary phone bans as a consequence; the student will be required to either leave their phone at home or hand it in to reception at the start of the day and then collect at the end of the day.
1st instance = 3 days and then this can increase if repeat incidents with 1 week, 2 weeks, etc.
At The Edge Academy, one of our aims is to inspire success and confidence in each student and as such we trust our young people to be responsible in their mobile phone use.