All the staff at The Edge want you to achieve. We have high expectations for all our students and work hard to raise aspirations. If you have a goal in mind we will be there to support you. We will explore potential career and education routes and discuss back up plans. However, not everyone has a dream, for those of you who don’t know what you want to do we will support you to explore options and ensure you experience a range of opportunities to help you to leave us ready for your next steps. Our offer to you includes:
- A stable careers programme. The careers programme outlines what you will be studying and when. It can be found on the school website and on display in the careers There are set things that happen each year but the careers team will support you to pursue any opportunities you think will help you achieve your goals. You will also notice activities linked to careers in form time, life skills lessons, assemblies and all other subjects.
- Learning from career and labour market information. Society changes very quickly and the jobs you will have in the future may not exist yet. We will signpost you to the most up to date information to help you see what future study options are available and what and job opportunities will be best suited to you. We can do this through a range of online tools or one to one guidance from the careers team. Take a look at the links below to learn more about the current labour market.
- Addressing the needs of each student.Every day you will be working on developing your essential skills, the skills you need to succeed in any work place. You will complete an essential skills audit to work out what your strengths and areas for development are. You will have a range of careers experiences in your time at the Edge and we want you to actively engage with this process so you get the most out of it. At the end of KS3 we will support you to decide what you will be studying in KS4. You can talk to any member of staff about this and we can arrange for a meeting with our independent careers adviser. You will also get one to one support throughout KS4 to help you plan your next steps.
- Linking curriculum learning to careers.Every member of staff you work with will be supporting you to develop your essential skills, it is happening even though you might not notice it! We will also share with you why our subject is important and what skills you are developing in your studies. We all have our own journey to share and can tell you about what career opportunities each subject can lead to.
- Encounters with employers and employees.You will meet a range of visitors and speakers in school and learn about what their role is and what skills are important for their job. In KS4 you will get the opportunity to put what you have learned in to practice with mock interviews, enterprise activities and careers fairs.
- Experiences of workplaces. You will have the opportunity to visit a range of workplaces and speak to staff about what their job entails. You will get lots of support towards the end of year 9 to choose a work related learning placement for KS4. We will find you a suitable placement, help you to settle in and check on your progress. You can also gain certification for the work that you are doing.
- Encounters with further and higher education. We will visit other schools, colleges, universities and apprenticeship providers. In KS4 you will get to experience what learning is like in these environments and hopefully start to think about which route is right for you.
- Personal guidance.You will have lots of opportunities to talk to staff about your future. The careers team will check in regularly and help you to create a bespoke careers plan and work towards completing a Record of Achievement and a CV in year 11. You will have a team of staff around you to help you work towards your goals or plan your next steps. In KS4 you will have meetings with Birmingham Careers Service advisers to make sure you are on the right track and we will support you every step of the way. We will even check in after you have left to see how you are doing.
Explore the links below to see what your future could hold:
Labour Market Information:
Further Education Providers:
Higher Education Providers:
An interactive game to explore what university is like.
If you need any more information speak to the careers team, Charlotte and Liz.